Frequently Asked Questions

Buying Property

It is possible to remain in Thailand permanently and there are several ways of going about it—applying for residency, a retirement visa, or a non-immigrant working visa status, for example. It is, however, not a straightforward process so be sure t do your research before rushing ahead.

Provided you follow the guidelines and respect & follow the law, you shouldn’t run into any problems. Buying property in Thailand as a foreigner is complicated, but feasible and worthwhile if you desire to remain permanently.

There are methods for maintaining foreign ownership and for more details you can read our extensive Buying Guide.

The process is simple and similar to that of what you’d expect from your home country. You will only need the following to get started:

  • Passport
  • Work permit (or certificate of residency)
  • Property rental agreement, yellow house book or other proof of address
  • Valid ID (driving licence)
  • Cash in Thai Baht deposit.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Quisque aliquet massa mi, sed ornare dui ullamcorper non. Pellentesque habitant morbi tristique senectus et netus et malesuada fames ac turpis egestas. Duis nec orci ac lorem tempor ultricies. Pellentesque pulvinar nisl pulvinar ex tincidunt, eu gravida lacus auctor. Maecenas finibus eros pharetra, tempus tortor sit amet, faucibus sapien. Donec non nulla posuere, malesuada urna quis, ornare lectus. Nunc gravida, sapien non laoreet consectetur, sem ligula consequat ex, sit amet sodales velit dui a ipsum. Mauris aliquet metus nec dui porttitor, non mattis ex accumsan. Duis gravida diam est, ac molestie erat porta sit amet. Vivamus tortor mauris, aliquet condimentum elit porttitor, consequat malesuada nibh. Duis nec vestibulum nisi, eget dignissim ex

The average deposit amount when buying a property in Thailand is 10% of the unit cost and it is indeed refundable. There are, of course, certain situations when you may not have it returned, for example: purchasing a different property after you’d signed the contract.

It is important to remember there are a number of rules and restrictions around financing which can make the process difficult. Make sure to speak with professionals about your options to avoid any issues.

This is down to your circumstances, but with all of the rules and regulations in most cases our short answer is yes; you should absolutely work with a lawyer. However, when looking at buying a condo in freehold, for example, your real estate agency will be able to handle all of the processes easily enough, so a lawyer may not be necessary.

If you are unclear, contact one of our consultants for some advice on your specific circumstances.

You can certainly get an investment visa, although this isn’t a long-term solution to your residency needs. You will need to explore other options if you’d like to remain permanently.

Yes, they can and there is no age restriction on this. However, just because they can, it doesn’t mean that the land department will automatically approve it. It is worth exploring as a solution though.

All of the money for the purchase of a condo must be sent to Thailand from a foreign country in its original currency. Without proof of this, you cannot register the condo in your name.

Renting Property

This is entirely down to your discretion and personal preference.

  • Furnished is best for short-term rentals or those who don’t want the hassle of buying / moving extra furniture
  • Part-furnished is acceptable provided you have the essentials and don’t mind forking out on extra furniture and appliances
  • Unfurnished is ideal for those who will be renting long term and wish to style their apartment to their personal preferences

You will always get better results when searching online. Our website as an example has tonnes of exceptional rental properties in Pattaya.

Again, this is entirely up to you. We would always advise going through a reputable agency for the additional security and peace of mind. However, if you are fortunate enough to find a property that you like and a landlord that you trust, private rentals are not entirely unviable.

This comes down to your needs. How much space do you need? Would you like the additional security of being in a serviced condominium? Do you value your privacy? Do you mind sharing facilities? Do you have a Pet? Weigh up the pros and cons of each type of property and go with whichever makes the most sense to you.

The short answer is no. Some properties will have all bills included, others will have some, whereas most will require you to pay for your utilities separately on top of your rent. Make sure you fully understand the terms of the agreement before signing anything.

This depends on who you are renting with. Privately, there are no guarantees that the landlord will live up to your agreement. If you go through a reputable agency and you leave the property in the condition that you found it, then you will not run into any issues with receiving your full deposit.

Typically, no, however, in some cases, your landlord may allow this in writing so long as they are receiving their fair share.

Report the damage to your landlord immediately and explain what happened. There shouldn’t be any major issues, however, you will be expected to pay for the damages. Alternatively, the repairs/replacement can come out of your deposit.

In order to avoid this from happening, make sure that you are 100% aware of everything expected of you as a tenant before rushing in and signing an agreement.


You will be given written notice with plenty of time before the transaction takes place so that (if necessary) you can find other accommodation. However, in some cases, you will likely be able to remain living there, only with a new landlord.

No, not during the lease agreement term unless mentioned otherwise in the contract. If negotiations for rent increases take place, then this usually happens at the end of the agreed lease period in the contract.

Typically, your landlord should be able to make immediate arrangements for repairs on their property. However, if for whatever reason they are unable to respond in time and you have to act immediately to prevent further damage to the property, you will be reimbursed. However, contacting your Real Estate Agent should always be your first point of contact.

Typically, no. Of course, if you are renting privately then there’s no saying for sure how your landlord will act. However, if you work through an agency, the landlord will be required to give you at least 24 hours’ notice before arriving for inspection, or a property viewing that they may have arranged.

Whilst you will be expected to be clean and respectful to the property, the general maintenance, repairs, and upkeep of the property will fall to the landlord.

Compare listings


Submit a Listing